Pages

A Role Model

Happy Monday, friends!!!  On my drive into work this morning, I was thinking about what I wanted to write about on here today.  I considered sharing my awesome weekend spent with my best friend in DC, or maybe posting something about Christmas, or possibly inviting you all to try a new recipe.  But being that it is Monday and the end of 2014 is approaching, I wanted something a little more inspiring.  

One night last week I happened to stumble upon the People Magazine Awards on television.  I am not big into awards shows, but nothing else really was on so I decided to watch the awards for a bit.  Luckily, I caught one of my girl crushes winning Celebrity Role Model of the year: Kate Hudson.  I love so much about Kate Hudson, and listening to her speech made me love her even more.  I think Kate Hudson is such a powerhouse.  She is a talented actress, an awesome mom (at least that's what the tabloids I read lead me to believe), a successful business owner (you HAVE to sign up for her company, Fabletics -- I LOVE the workout gear), she's beautiful, smart, witty, just totally awesome.  I want to be her, can you tell?  Well, she gave one of the best acceptance speeches I think I have heard on a celebrity awards show.  Here it is: Kate Hudson Wins Celebrity Role Model of the Year.

You need to listen to the full speech (it is short), but I will share my thoughts anyways.  

She starts out defining what a "role model" means to her, which actually is what it means to some girl named Natalie who posted her own definition of "role model" somewhere on the Internet: "a role model is a person with a clear sense of what is important to her."  

Kate then goes on to give some pretty inspiring words about this journey we call "life."  Be focused, resilient, fearless.  Don't burden yourself with the pursuit of perfection -- that's unrealistic, she says.  Honor who you are, but more importantly, learn who you are.  Take risks.  And don't ever let anyone push you around.  That, of course, is only a snapshot of all Kate had to say, and I won't ruin the rest of her speech for those who have not watched it yet. 

Her speech made me think: who is my role model?  Or maybe, who are my role modelS?  My parents, of course.  Maybe some of my friends who have it all together (or at least seem like they do).  Maybe a few professors I have had over the years who stood out to me.  I am not entirely sure if I have one role model, because I look to many different people for many different things.  But, if I had to pick just one, my dad is going to take the cake.  Is that cliche?  

Here is one of the many, many reasons why my dad is my role model.  As I have written about before, I have been doing some reeeal serious "soul searching" recently.  My dad has talked me through just about every decision I have had to make recently, whether it is about my job, relationships, finances, friends -- he has heard it all.  Well, about two weeks ago I was really upset and down one night about a slew of things (which he knew about), and I woke up the next morning with this text: 

You know I always look at the bright side of things and this is no exception:  you're 25 years old, debt free, have a good job and better ones lying ahead.  You're single, beautiful, and have great friends.  Life looks good.  Is there a non-bright way of looking at this?

I mean come on, could there have been a better text to cheer me up?  Texts like that are why my dad is [one of] my role model[s].  He is exactly right: he always looks at the positive side of things.  My dad has been through a lot over the years, but he always has maintained the most positive attitude through everything.  He puts just about every single person above himself and goes out of his way to make sure everyone feels that way.  

I imagine if my dad was to win "Celebrity Role Model of the Year," he would deliver a speech similar to Kate Hudson's.  Life is a journey.  There are challenges, setbacks, triumphs, victories, and moments of fear.  But my dad would say you must stay focused throughout all of these.  "Focus on the task at hand," I can hear him saying.  

Kate Hudson's speech was a good reminder to stay strong and determined and to pursue your personal goals.  Be assertive, live fearlessly, and don't ever let anyone hold you back.  

How is that to jump start your Monday?  Cheers, blog world!

No comments:

Post a Comment