Pages

Papi's Taco Joint: A Must Try


Papi's Taco Joint in Fells Point is a must try for anyone around the Baltimore area.  It is a casual and fun establishment with superb specials on any day of the week.  Even on a Monday night, Papi's knows how to attract a crowd.  I went for Margarita Monday, where all of their signature margaritas are just $3 all day!  Normally $7, this is a deal that you cannot pass up.  If you make it in time for happy hour, you can enjoy sangria, draft beers, tequila shots, and a few other speciality drinks all for only $3 each, and $1 tacos.  


The menu is huge (almost overwhelming) and has just about any Mexican-inspired dish you can imagine.  I had the Rajas con Nopales, which I still don't quite know what that is.  Based on the description ("roasted mild poblana chiles sauteed with cactus leaf, queso de Oaxaca, crema Mexicana, white onions, corn, and fire salt"), I was expecting something like a chile relleno -- wrong (but not necessarily in a bad way).  The dish was more like a Chipotle rice bowl.... without the rice.  I thought it was delicious and way more than I could eat in one sitting, so I brought the rest home and will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Per usual, I filled up on way too many chips and salsa before the meal came out.  We also ordered the guacamole, which is about as fresh as you can imagine.  It allegedly is "prepared table-side," but it pretty much comes out fully prepared and the only thing that is done table-side is a final stir and some garnishing.  Didn't bother me -- the guac was fantastic.  The menu claims the guac is for two, but four of us munched on it and polished off almost an entire basket of chips, so I think it's safe to say it is a portion large enough for at least 2-4 people.  

I did not sample the tacos, but you have the option to customize your own from several choices.  Don't let the options fool you, though -- the tacos are pretty small but appropriately priced at $5 or $6 for an order (two tacos in one order).  I've heard the chorizo and the carnitas ones are good!

Didn't document too much of the meal tonight because I was more focused on catching up with some friends, but here are a few pictures from my meal.  I highly recommend Papi's!


           
 



No comments:

Post a Comment