Pages

Chocolate Chip Scones


What is a scone, anyway?  Some sort of muffin / biscuit / cookie hybrid - that's the best way I can describe a scone.  For whatever reason, I was inspired last night to bake some chocolate chip scones (gluten free, of course).  I pretty much used the first recipe I found on a simple google search and tweaked it juuuust a bit (I won't tell you how!).  They are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.  A little more dense than I maybe would have preferred, but I blame that on the gluten free aspect rather than the character of an actual scone.  They were very quick and easy to make and I encourage you to give them a try!  Here is the recipe:

First, you will need ...

  • 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces (I cut it into large cubes)
  • 1 C milk
  • 1/2-3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (depending on how sweet you want to make them)

Then, you will need to ...
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
  • In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients first: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Then, add the cold pieces/cubes of butter and "rub" them into the mixture.
  • Once the mixture is combined so that it feels like wet sand (I know this is not the most appetizing way to describe a treat you're about to bake, but it is the best I could do), and the cubes of butter are coarsely coated, add the milk, stirring gently as you pour.  
  • Stir until the mixture is completely combined - it will be thick.  Fold in the desired amount of chocolate chips.
  • Scoop batter in large spoonfuls and place about an inch apart on the baking sheet.  I chose to keep things extra simple and just dropped the batter in circles (more like blobs), but feel free to get as creative and fancy as you would like with shapes!
  • Bake for about 23-25 minutes, or until the tops and edges of the scones are lightly browned.  Remove from oven and place scones on cooling rack for about five minutes.  They taste best when served warm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment